24 Sep 2012 — 29 Sep 2012 Fully Booked
The Bobath Centre
250 East End Road
Jean-Pierre Maes, Senior Bobath Tutor, The Bobath Centre
Betty Hutchon, Head Occupational Therapist Royal Free Hospital
What is it?
The emphasis of this course is to introduce course participants to the Bobath Concept and its practical application with babies from preterm age to 18 months.
Who is it for?
The course is suitable for non-Bobath trained physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists and paediatricians/ neonatalogists who are currently working with babies and young children. We would recommend that therapists who apply for this course have at least one year’s current clinical experience with a moderate caseload of babies and young children. There will be clinical practice sessions from the start of the course.
To introduce course participants to the role of the neurodevelopmental therapist including assessment and intervention using Bobath concepts, both in NICU with preterm infants and with high risk infants in the first year of life.
By the end of the course the participants should be able to:
- Begin to apply the Bobath concept in early assessment and intervention to include current views on early treatment and management
- Develop better facilitation / handling skills through problem solving
- Demonstrate an understanding of normal, abnormal and atypical development for preterm and term babies in the first year of life
- Document observations of normally developing babies
- Develop better observation skills through participating in and observing case studies
- Demonstrate an understanding of the neurological and developmental assessment tools / methods available to therapists in NICU and early intervention
- Demonstrate an in depth knowledge and understanding of early patterns of brain damage, investigation methods, medication and medical intervention
How will the course be taught?
The format will include lectures on neurological and developmental assessment with video analysis, as well as daily treatment sessions followed by case presentations and practical demonstrations by a Senior Bobath tutor.
Return your registration form to
The Bobath Centre, 250 East End Road, London N2 8AU
Tel: 020 8444 3355 E: email@example.com www.bobath.org.uk