Monday 05 March 2018 to Friday 09 March 2018
Christine Barber, Director, The Bobath Centre
Who is it for:
This course is suitable for occupational therapists and physiotherapists who have successfully completed the Basic Bobath Foundation Course.
To deepen therapists’ understanding and analysis of upper limb activity in children who have cerebral palsy and enhance the effectiveness of their treatment.
Identify the prerequisites for effective and efficient use of the upper limb in a variety of activities
- Discuss specific aspects of the mechanism of sensory-motor control of the upper limb
- Identify and analyse the factors that might limit activity
- Demonstrate how specific treatment can improve upper limb function
- Demonstrate an understanding of how shoulder girdle activity influences the use of the hand and vice versa
- Use a variety of treatment ideas to achieve the same goal
How will the course be taught?
This course will have a strong practical element and will include lectures, group work, discussion, practical demonstration and video analysis as well as daily treatment sessions.
Moving and Handling Statement
It is essential to have an awareness of the current safety issues relating to ‘moving and handling’ and where possible a working knowledge of the current legislation.
During practical sessions, it is expected that course participants will be involved in moving and handling for the purposes of the course. This course aims to give participants practical skills which can not be learnt by observation alone. However, it is also important to be aware of health and safety issues and the need for personal risk assessment.