I attended the Basic 8-week course a long time ago and this has re-motivated me!
Monday 08 October 2018 to Tuesday 09 October 2018
Virginia Knox (PT Tutor) The Bobath Centre, Marissa Mount (OT), Bobath Children's Therapy Centre Wales
What is it?
This is a two day workshop covering the different types of children with hemiplegia from 0 – 16 years.
Who is the course for?
The course is suitable for physiotherapists and occupational therapists who are working with children with cerebral palsy.
- To identify and describe the different clinical presentations of hemiplegia (unilateral spastic hypertonus) in childhood
- To understand the different limitations of movement and sensation seen in such children and describe some of the most common visual and perceptuomotor difficulties
- To demonstrate an understanding of key principles of assessment and treatment
- To demonstrate the importance of teamwork in addressing these problems
Course participants will be able to:
- Identify and / or describe the different presentations of hemiplegia
- Discuss how sensori-motor difficulties affect motor ability
- Discuss the importance of shoulder girdle stability in relation to mobile arm support
- Facilitate key sequences of movement, relevant to the child with hemiplegia
- State some of the principles of treatment for the different presentations of hemiplegia in childhood, and give examples of treatment ideas
- State some relevant classification systems and outcome measures which can be used with children with hemiplegia
- Describe some of the different approaches to treating children with hemiplegia
How will the course be taught?
The course will be taught between physiotherapy and occupational therapy tutors in a series of lectures, practical workshops, treatment demonstrations and/or video presentations.