I attended the Basic 8-week course a long time ago and this has re-motivated me!
Dates to be announced
Virginia Knox (PT Tutor) The Bobath Centre, Marissa Mount (OT), Bobath Children's Therapy Centre Wales
What is it?
This is a two day workshop covering the different types of children with hemiplegia from 0 – 16 years.
Who is the course for?
The course is suitable for physiotherapists and occupational therapists who are working with children with cerebral palsy.
- To identify and describe the different clinical presentations of hemiplegia (unilateral spastic hypertonus) in childhood
- To understand the different limitations of movement and sensation seen in such children and describe some of the most common visual and perceptuomotor difficulties
- To demonstrate an understanding of key principles of assessment and treatment
- To demonstrate the importance of teamwork in addressing these problems
Course participants will be able to:
- Identify and / or describe the different presentations of hemiplegia
- Discuss how sensori-motor difficulties affect motor ability
- Discuss the importance of shoulder girdle stability in relation to mobile arm support
- Facilitate key sequences of movement, relevant to the child with hemiplegia
- State some of the principles of treatment for the different presentations of hemiplegia in childhood, and give examples of treatment ideas
- State some relevant classification systems and outcome measures which can be used with children with hemiplegia
- Describe some of the different approaches to treating children with hemiplegia
How will the course be taught?
The course will be taught between physiotherapy and occupational therapy tutors in a series of lectures, practical workshops, treatment demonstrations and/or video presentations.