Very stimulating and covered a good mix of topics, Chris's demonstrations and interventions in workshops were enlightening
Dates to be announced
Christine Barber, Director, The Bobath Centre
What is it?
This course is designed to highlight the changes that take place through adolescence, how these changes may affect young people with cerebral palsy and focuses on treatment and management strategies appropriate for adolescents and young adults during their transition into adult life.
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for physiotherapists, occupational therapists and speech and language therapists who have a specific interest, or who are involved in the treatment and management of older children/adolescence and young people with cerebral palsy in the transition period from school to an adult life style. The course will also be relevant to therapists working with pre-pubescent children, giving insight into problems that may occur in adolescence and help forward planning of treatment and management.
The aim of this course is to review specific factors that impact on the activity and participation of adolescents with cerebral palsy and explore therapeutic management throughout transition.
The course participants will be able to:
- Identify and discuss specific changes in clinical presentation associated with cerebral palsy in adolescence and during the transitional years.
- Identify which factors may contribute to further deterioration in people with this condition during adolescence and explore specific therapeutic interventions.
- Describe how perceptual, cognitive and communication difficulties may impinge on participation both socially and economically and discuss strategies to improve the potential for full participation in daily life.
- Discuss strategies to encourage the client to take responsibility for their own treatment and management programmes.
- Problem solve how to adapt handling and treatment to the older child and adolescent.
How will the course be taught?
This course comprises lectures, client demonstrations, and practical sessions to explore management issues in this age group.